Assistant IT Coordinator & Librarian
Company: Kelem International School (KIS) (Former Swedish Community School)
Location: Addis Ababa
Employment Type: Full time
‘Kelem International School (KIS) is a pre-KG to Grade 10 school that was originally established under the Swedish Embassy in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in 1946. The school has been redefined as an independent not-for-profit school since July 1st, 2019.
We are currently seeking an Assistant IT Coordinator & Librarian for the next academic year 2023-24.
Our vision is to become a collaborative center of learning in Ethiopia, where each and every child becomes a confident and self-realized global citizen. Our mission is to facilitate the realization of every child’s full potential and develop resilient, curious, open-minded and reflective students who are able to express themselves fully and effectively.
We teach to enable our students to think critically, analyze and creatively solve problems to be adaptive in a rapidly changing world. Our school fosters in the minds of our students that learning is a life-long endeavor, setting the example by the continued professional development of our teachers and staff.
Our school aims to produce responsible and compassionate global citizens, with respect and recognition of the rich heritage of our host country, Ethiopia.
Currently the student-body of 200 represents 28 different nationalities. Kelem International School follows the Finnish curriculum blended with international standards for G1-10 and International Early Years Curriculum (IEYC) for KG. We are a fully accredited international School by Cognia Global Commission.
The Assistant IT Coordinator & Librarian will support the IT Coordinator & Librarian in running the school library and providing ICT support to students, teachers, parents, management staff, and other community members. He/She will contribute to management, maintenance, and development of all IT equipment and the provision of technical advice and support for IT related activities.
- The Assistant IT Coordinator & Librarian will:
- Coordinate a variety of activities for the IT Coordinator & Librarian.
- Respond to a wide variety of concerns and/or complaints to resolve technical problems, provide information and/or refer to appropriate personnel / supervisor.
- Acts as a first point of contact for students visiting the Library and IT Lab to coordinate their visit, assisting them with finding the appropriate information / tools.
- Support the aims and ethos of the school as identified in the staff handbook.
- Promote and model good relationships with students, parents, and community members.
- Set a good example in terms of dress code, punctuality, and attendance.
- Participate in training and take a lead in her/his own professional development.
- Participate in the School’s staff appraisal process.
Key roles & responsibilities:
- Collect and catalog library resources including books, films, and publications.
- Help students, teachers, and other community members locate reference and leisure reading materials.
- Maintain library records on databases (such as Librarika) and ensure it is updated.
- Perform regular audits of the information and inventory on file.
- Educate students and staff on how to properly search for information using the library databases.
- Oversee the check-out process for books and other resource materials.
- Organize and host book sales, author signings, and other reading events.
- Clarify the use of library amenities and provide information about library policies.
- Make sure the library meets the needs of precise groups of users including students who have special educational needs.
- Place orders of relevant resources, books, and audio-video materials based on students and teacher’s needs.
- Provide progress reports to supervisor.
Technical IT Support & Administration
- Assist in basic diagnostic routines. Help install new software and hardware.
- Secure, security code and ensure the safe set up of new equipment.
- Set up the school computer lab, including repairing equipment that is non-functional, performing upgrades to desktops and laptops, installing software, networking all devices, recommending purchases of needed hardware or software, and installing virus protection software.
- Run regular checks on network and data security.
- Set up equipment such as laptops, projectors, iPads, sound systems and other specialist ICT equipment, ensuring that systems are ready for use and operating correctly.
- Install hardware and resources to work areas and classrooms as required.
- Assist in creating a structured approach to rolling out new hardware or software, including procurement, testing.
- Detects, diagnoses and resolves most PC, printer and peripheral device faults.
- Develop a maintenance schedule for all printers, computer hardware, software and networks, and ensure that it is followed.
- Contribute to updates of the school’s website.
- Provide assistance in implementing training programs and workshops for staff to become more comfortable and familiar with using technology in class planning, teaching and use of the portal.
- Identify and communicate on opportunities to improve and update software and systems.
- Support the IT Coordinator and Librarian in maintaining the school portal – this will be the primary system used for teachers to enter and track student assignments and grading, communicate with parents, etc.
- Maintain Office 365 accounts and implement where appropriate.
- Assist in planning and implementing changes to elements of the ICT service as required.
- Assist in routine safety checks, including electrical tests, are carried out and appropriate records maintained.
- Ensure the safe disposal of obsolete equipment, used consumables and waste materials in line with recognized procedures and legal requirements.
- Support in maintaining an up‐to‐date inventory of ICT software and licenses in school.
- Invigilate examinations and tests as required.
- Take on any other related duties assigned by immediate supervisor.
Reports to: IT Coordinator & Librarian
Coordinates with: Team Leaders, Teachers, Admissions Officer, Learning Support Team
Working Hours: Monday - Thursday (7:30 am - 4:30 pm) and Fridays (from 7:30 am - 3:30 pm).
- BSc/MSc in Computer Science and other related fields.
- Minimum 3 - 4 years of relevant experience
How to Apply
- Interested applicants are asked to apply by submitting their most recent CV as well as a letter of no more than two sides of A4 outlining their suitability for the post and motivation in making the application. The CV must include names and full contact details of three professional referees, one of whom must be the candidate’s most recent supervisor/ line manager. Referees will not be contacted without prior permission.
- Applications may be submitted in person at the school address below or send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to interaction with candidates’ professional referees a variety of background checks will be required prior to final appointment.
- Please note that Kelem International School (KIS) is committed to all aspects of safeguarding and safer recruitment practices to ensure that the school provides a safe and secure environment for all.
The HR office
The Former Swedish Community School Parents Charitable Organization (FSCSPCO)
Dar Sahara street, Kazanchis,
Cobble stone road opposite Meles Foundation
House # 9999/1
Tele: +251 911 52 73 41
Please note that applicants will be contacted for further assessment only if they are shortlisted.
- Deadline: Jun 15, 2023